- Internet is a world-wide / global system of interconnected computer networks.
- Internet uses the standard Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Every computer in internet is identified by a unique IP address.
- IP Address is a unique set of numbers (such as 126.96.36.199) which identifies a computer location.
- A special computer DNS (Domain Name Server) is used to give name to the IP Address so that user can locate a computer by a name.
- For Example, a DNS server will resolve a name http://www.tutorialspoint.com to a particular IP address to unique identify the computer on which this website is hosted.
- Internet is accessible to every user all over the world.
- Intranet is system in which multiple PCs are networked to be connected to each other.
- PCs in intranet are not availble to the world outside of the intranet.
- Usually each company or organizations have their own Intranet network and members/employees of that company can access the computers in their intranet.
- Each computer in Intranet is also identified by a IP Address which is unique among the computers in that Intranet.
Similarities in Internet & Intranet
- Intranet uses the internet protocols such as TCP/IP and FTP.
- Intranet sites are accessible via web browser in similar way as websites in internet. But only memebers of Intranet network can access intranet hosted sites.
- In Intranet, own instant messengers can be used as similar to yahoo messenger/ gtalk over the internet.
Differences in Internet & Intranet1.Internet is general to PCs all over the world where Intranet is specific to few PCs.
2. Internet is wider access and provides a better access to websites to large populcation where as Intranet is restricted.
3. Internet is not as safe as Intranet as Intranet can be safely privatized as per the need.